macro problem, extra heirarchy?

Um...first off, while wrapping gda_field, I found this line:

#define gda_field_single(f)         ((f)->real_value->_u.v._u.f)

It kept choking until I got my brain in gear and figured out why: f is
being reused! I didn't want to change it, being as it's not my code, nor
in my folder, and so someone familiar with the code should probably change
the gda_field_single(f) and (f)-> into something like a g or somesuch...

Also, can someone explain why Gda_Field, Gda_Value, and Gda_FieldValue are
all separate? I can't quite figure out why... (no offense intended, I
assure you!)

Thanks,

Chris Wiegand

--
There is a story that a wise and pious man once stood before God, his
heart breaking from the pain and injustice in the world. "Why don't you