Notes on XML Queries proposal

Hi all,

I just finished looking at the XML Query proposal.  Looks good, but there are a few missing entities (not in the XML entity sense :)

ORDER BY ( ASC | DESC )
UNION | INTERSECT
INNER JOIN, OUTER JOIN and friends.
Stored Procedures

Those don't seem to fit into any of the categories so far.  Joins, in particular, are funny.  In Oracle you place joins in the WHERE clause:
    where a.thing = b.thing (+)

But SQL-92 specifies an
    INNER JOIN blah on blah

type of phrasing (I just read the changelog for Postgres 7.0 and it uses the SQL-92 INNER JOIN terminology now).  The XML Query spec as written doesn't clearly differentiate between a join and a qualifier.  I imagine a new node alongside of TARGET, SOURCES, VALUES and QUALIFICATION.  Perhaps JOINS.

<!ELEMENT QUERY (TARGET?, SOURCES?, VALUES, QUALIFICATION?)>
<!ELEMENT JOINS (TABLE, TABLE, FIELD, FIELD)+>
<!ATTLIST JOIN
    type CDATA #REQUIRED>
etc.

Also, some databases (Interbase comes to mind) allow the user to specify the execution plan.  That might be nice too, but far from critical.  I'm off to buy a book on XML so I can actually add more structured suggestions...

John