Re: Postgres bonobo controls

> Now here is where I have some problems: the get_prop() and set_prop() functions
> are called with the NULL value instead of the actual bonobo control, so I don't
> know which control I have to access to get/set values.

I've been looking at your sources for this, and IMO, this looks as a
bonobo bug. Since you're calling the bonobo_property_bag_add_full() with
the GtkWidget as parameter and that's the same you're using. Unless
there is some interference with the get_prop_cb and set_prop_cb
functions in gnome-db-control.c, which are used in the call to
bonobo_property_bag_new().

> As for the usage of the properties in the gnome-db controls: I think these
> properties should be used by the app embedding a control to choose how the
> control must be initialised, etc. The properties should not be accessible to
> the end user (he needs not know about them).

We both agree on this.

> For the gda-manager, a solution may be to remove the 'Load' button in the
> toolbar, and put a 'Configure' button under the other buttons of the Data
> Sources. When the user clicks on it, it will insert a new page to the notebook
> in which will be, if available, the global config component for the selected
> data source (that way the DSN and username are known and can be passed by
> setting the DSN and username properties of the new bonobo control). Like that
> if I want to configure a DBMS, I first select it among the provided list of
> dada sources, and click on 'Configure'. What do you think, Rodrigo?

Yes, it's a good idea! If nobody complains, we'll do it that way. Do you
agree?

> Last, I think it is important that each control has its user and password
> properties set because some actions may require the application user to change
> identity (for example be the postgres user to add new users to the DB). With
> this there is a property to hide this user identity part if not welcomed.

You're again right! Ok, so the missing thing is how to make the
properties work. Could you send a message to gnome-components-list (CC
to gnome-list) explaining it better than I did last time I sent it? (did
you get any answer?) I really think it's a Bonobo bug, specially since
these functions were changed a few weeks ago.

Cheers