Re: GnomeDbReport

Vivien Malerba wrote:

> On jeu, 30 mar 2000, Cédric PINEAU wrote:
> > GnomeDbReport
> >

> >   As it seems that there are others people interested in working on that
> > project, here is a description of how I see the things.
> >
> >   My primary goal is to provide a report generator for Gnomedb, similar to
> > ReportSmith or QuickReport for Delphi, in order to port a commercial
> > application I wrote to the Gnome plateform.
> >
> >   The basic ideas I have formulated so far have met Rodrigo's owns, so I
> > think that they can be adopted :
> >     - We have to develop an app, whose purpose would be to create reports
> >     files. Thoses files would then be loaded and processed by any apps,
> > using
> >     a linked library that will be part of gda-clnt-ui.
>
> Would it be possible rather to develop just a bonobo component to do that task
> (create report files), so any app using gnome-db is able to generate its own
> reports by incorporating this component. What do you think?

As I said before, if we have the visual stuff in the GnomeDbReport widget, then
the gda-components binary (which will provide some of the widgets in gda-clnt-ui
as bonobo components) could provide a GnomeDbReport bonobo component. Thus, we'll
have the possibility to use it as normal widget, as a bonobo component, and if the
report engine is to be coded in a separated library, also as lib for console-only
apps or things like that.

> >     - The reports are stored as XML files. It includes both databases
> >     informations and SQL statements, and presentation (positions of
> > fields...)
>
> I'm working now on creating a lib to desing queries in a generic (XML) form,
> that is independent of any SQL (or whatever) language. The queries done in this
> way will be SELECT, INSERT, etc (classical ops in a db) and also queries to
> store and retreive the database structure (tables, sequences, functions, data
> types,...). We could merge our efforts and create a unique lib which has all
> the above mentionned features and the possibility to store reports.

Yes, I think moving all the XML stuff to the libgdacommon we talked about would be
great.