AW: Updateable recordsets

> As you say, one possibility is to leave all this work to the client lib,
> for which we would need the provider  to specify the table to which each
> field belongs. The caveats of this is that we risk to update rows we
> didn't want to. And in most cases, it would be quite difficult to know
> which exact row is the one to update.

I think finding the right row is not the problem (we've discussed this
before), but rather finding which field belongs to which table.
I'm not sure whether all Database Providers can do this.

> I'm not hurry about having this in GDA, so if nobody shows a big
> interest, we can leave it on the TODO list and concentrate now on other
> things.

IMHO it would be really better to put the generation of SQL
statements altogether into a layer above GDA. We will
probably create such a beast in GNU Enterprise.
Of course that will be really free GPL software, so that
it is reusable by whoever wants it.

Reinhard