Re: diffenrences between providers / servers

ser@perio.unlp.edu.ar wrote:

> Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@linuxave.net> el día Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:39:10 +0200,
> escribió:
>
> >being used is XML. This is because we plan to support non-DBMS data
> >sources (LDAP, POP3/IMAP, etc), and SQL is only supported by DBMS.
>
> wow, mozilla syndrome ... (everything, but the kitchen sink)
>
> it's just me or gnome-db is starting to loose the focus ?
>
> the same day that gnome-db support pop3 it will die of featuritis
> and unmaintanability...
> (and people will use the camel library for pop3, imap)
>
> gnome-db should do one thing, and do it well.

When I talk about adding a POP3/IMAP provider, I do so as an example to
show that with the current architecture, it is possible to write a
provider for anything imaginable. I'm myself focusing on databases, so I
won't write such a provider, but if somebody wants to add it, I see no
problem at all.

As long as the CORBA interfaces are not changed to some POP3 (or
whatever) specific stuff and they remain as generic as possible, there
shouldn't be any problem if somebody wants to access his/her mail server
through GNOME-DB. Again, I don't see the usefulness of doing so, but, in
GNOME-DB the providers are cleanly separated from the rest of the
architecture, so this won't mean adding lots of things to GNOME-DB (one
huge app doing everything), but just writing a fully independent part to
access a kind of data source.