Re: Reporter Question

Derek Neighbors wrote:

> All,
>
> I am from the GNU Enterprise team.  I would like to say progress looks
> great on the separation of the library to move away form GTK dependencies.

yes, next release will have them separated, although the
GNOME-dependency will continue (in RPMs and debs, not in source of
course).

> I hope our team can begin to continue the work for Python bindings as well
> as help with a row/column style API.  I believe we have people looking
> into both as we speak.  Reinhard Mueller is our team lead for gnome-db
> stuff so I am sure you will hear from him shortly. :)

would be great to have the python part ready. BTW, has anybody tested
it?

> I noticed a post to the list recently about gReporter and reporting tools
> using gnome-db.  I would like to invite anyone interested in reporting to
> please check out GNU Enterprise Reporter.  We are still in the planning
> stages, but all of our tools will be functional out side of GNUe
> applications.
>
> We were planning to use gnome-db to access data and thinking
> of xml/sgml based reports.  We were looking to use jade and dsssl to
> author a tool that would provide a wide array of output with maxium
> flexibity. I would rather help an existing project or have them help us to
> maximize everyones productivity.  We have people willing to help work on
> this and lots of ideas we would like to share with others on the best
> approach.

IMO it is time to join all these efforts in doing a generic report
engine, which could then be used by any project. The only problem I see
here are the XML queries, which, if I'm not wrong, are being defined
with gnome-db in mind.

> I think the xml query engine could be interesting in this as well as our
> addition of col/row api will be a big plus to use in reporting.  As
> with all of our tools we fully expect it to work on *nix or windows and
> are committed to GPL.

what do you mean exactly by row/col api? In gnome-db, data retrieval is
done this way, maybe you'd prefer to extend it. Although the Row
'object' is only used in the CORBA interface, the client libs deal with
Recordsets and Fields, but not Rows.

> Dont know if there is an interest or not, but we would love help gnome-db
> and the rest of the free software community have good tools available so
> they no longer must be held hostage by vendors.
>
> Also, if we can get GNU Enterprise working with gnome-db soon.  I will
> volunteer to help with a user guide and tutorial information as we will
> need them to help GNUe implementors. :)

a user guide!!! it's been on the TODO list for centuries now, so please
go ahead! And as I said, we'd love to have gnome-db extended so that GNU
Enterprise works with it

> I am familar with most of the GDP guys and we are using their custom dtd
> and stylesheet currently for GNUe so it should be no problem to stay
> within their guidelines.

in gnome-db we're using docbook. is this a problem for what you say?