Re: GPL or LGPL ?

> if you change this:
>
> 1) it will be a BIG mess for developers
How so?  Enforcing others freedoms is only a problem for developers who
want to steal freedom from others?

> 2) it could mean the exclusion of gnome-db from gnome (and we don't need this)
How?  LGPL is GPL compatiable so it should not be a license issue.  I can
not conceive a FSF project (Gnome) denying you because you are GPL. :)

> 3) you kill the independent developer that is developing home made apps
>    with glade
How?  I seem to make a living just fine doing free software. :)

> 4) you reduce the usefullnes of the libs (at the expense of freedom, that's
> rigth)
I think GNU is all about freedom at almost any expense.

> and last but not least, gnome-db is NOT a widely used library, I don't think a
> change in this stage and of this magnitude could be beneficial.
Hogwash.  This is the time to make the change, when you dont have the
hassle of pissing off a lot of people that were using it in prop products.

> maybe when gnome-db 2.3 is already used by half of the world, you can announce
> a 3.0.0 version and change the license and say:
> "ha!, so you, parasite developing propietary crap, want to use 3.0 ?
> then pay me !"
That is not a very FSF attitude. :)

> but I don't think the timing is good rigth now ...

I disagree.

-Derek