Re: GPL or LGPL ?

[sorry for my bogus previous email]

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@linuxave.net> el día Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:08:51 +0200,
escribió:

>I value freedom, and I would like to have all software under the GPL
>license, but I did it like this (LGPL) as this is how all the GNOME
>libraries are licensed.
>
>And, the more I think about this, the more I prefer to license them
>under the GPL, but I'd like to do it only if all of you agree with that.
>So what do you prefer?

please, please, stick to the gtk and gnome policy:
libraries: LGPL
programs: GPL

if you change this:

1) it will be a BIG mess for developers
2) it could mean the exclusion of gnome-db from gnome (and we don't need this)
3) you kill the independent developer that is developing home made apps
   with glade
4) you reduce the usefullnes of the libs (at the expense of freedom, that's
rigth)

and last but not least, gnome-db is NOT a widely used library, I don't think a
change in this stage and of this magnitude could be beneficial.

maybe when gnome-db 2.3 is already used by half of the world, you can announce
a 3.0.0 version and change the license and say:
"ha!, so you, parasite developing propietary crap, want to use 3.0 ?
then pay me !"

but I don't think the timing is good rigth now ...

sergio