Re: GPL or LGPL ?

All,

I certain hope you stay hardlined on this issue and remain GPL only and
dont go the route so many do in doing LGPL.

> I noted in the gnome-db web pages that gnome-db is licensed under
> GPL (*), wich unlike the LGPL, will prevent the use of this libs in closed
> or home-made apps ...
>
> is this has been discussed, please point me to the archives, if not
> can I ask the motives ?

RMS has a lot to say on this subject directly.

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html

I think the key factor is currently to my knowledge this is the only
library of its kind for Linux.  This gives Free software a very good
advantage by only releasing as GPL.  As companies wanting to use it in
non-gpl compatiable works will be forced to change their licensing or to
roll their own.

In the case of gtk/gnome qt/kde had a head start, so it probably made more
sense to use the lgpl to encourage people away from qt/kde, but I think
gnome-db finds themselves in a different library situation. :)

I could go on for days. :)  Its called the "lesser" GPL for a reason. :)

-Derek
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnue.org