Re: New gda-report

> > Well, if I'm not wrong, these are the steps you may take:
> >
> > * report-desing: there should be complete programmatic control for this
> > Gda_Report object, so that the GnomeDbReport widget can be easily coded
> > to let design the report visually. Thus, other 'viewers' could be
> > implemented easily (for example a non-GNOME-dependant one).
> >

> Well this is an special draw program that generates the .report files
> (xml) that the gda-report will use to represent the database contents,
> isn't it?

yes, it should be able to generate the .report files as well as running
the report, and thus showing a preview or print it directly, using
gnome-print for this.

> > So, to make all this work, things to do:
> > * code the GnomeDbReport widget at the same time we go further with
> > Gda_Report. This widget will be the part talking directly with
> > gnome-print. Carlos, if you know GTK/GNOME programming and want to do
> > it, just say it, but if not, I'll do it myself.
>
> He,he i'm learning this kind of programming. At the moment i have
> programed the hispafuentes's application to proces the facturation with
> the gnome-libs and the gnome-print, i hope i will make it :-), but i
> will tell you if i have some trouble.

perfect! so it's for you. Add it to gda-clnt-ui, with the name
GnomeDbReport (and in the files gnome-db-report.[ch])

> > * add xml_query related methods to the IDL files: again, I prefer to
> > wait until the postgres provider is ported to the gda-server lib. This
> > includes xml_query_to_sql, exec_xml_query, and (maybe?) sql_to_xml_query
> >
> > i am right now busy on making the debian packages work (BTW, thanks
> > publicly to Akira TAGOH, who has done all the work), but as soon as
> > they're ok, I'll make a release and we'll concentrate on making all the
> > XML stuff work (Gda_XmlQuery, Gda_Report/GnomeDbReport, and
> > Gda_XmlDatabase, for the database designer and import/export stuff).
> >
> > I've added your code to the gda-clnt directory, since I haven't seen the
> > point in including it in gda-common. What use may providers make of the
> > Gda_Report class?
> >

> I don't know i have use this location because Vivien use it.
>
> > And Carlos, from now on, as you've got already a CVS account, just
> > commit directly instead of sending the code. But as I've said other
> > times, don't touch in a place you are not sure about, please!
> >

> Ok. I have send it here because i don't know the gnome-db's developers
> procedures.

all right, from now, as I said, just commit directly. There is only one
restriction, which is, as I said, not to touch in a part you're not sure
about, and not to touch in somebody else's directories without asking
for permission. This is mainly for not stepping on toes.

Cheers