Re: GNU Enterprise

Hi Reinhard!

> local caching of data from remote gedi servers
>    (performance)

Already implemented in gnome-db, although it's not really complete, so
it should be extended.

> an internal sql parser (for non sql data sources)

We are working on a SQL parser as well. Well, it's not started, but it's
planned.

> abstract data access from sql (we call this row/column api)
> (this list is totally unsorted regarding priority and urge)

This is already implemented in gnome-db

> We found that the most important thing, that is common api for all
> databases, is already
> fulfilled for gnome-db.
> We would need python bindings (which is on your TODO list)

An initial snapshot of python bindings is on CVS
(gda-dev/bindings/python). I don't know if they work (haven't tested
them), but if you want to have a look at them, and make them work if
they don't.

> and we would also
> like
> to have the thing you call "updateable recordsets", which I understand as
> having data
> access by just naming tables and fields, and not writing SQL statements for
> SELECT,
> UPDATE, INSERT and DELETE (which is also on your TODO list).
> Maybe even one from us could take these parts?

This is,as you say,one of the most important things on the TODO list,
but we haven't found a way of doing so in a portable manner accross all
DBMS. We' re right now adding XML queries which will allow something
similar. But, on the IDL files there are some methods defined for doing
so, but none of them are implemented.

> But then, if we used gnome-db for GNUe, we would have to make all servers
> and the
> client library ** completely gnome-independent ** as we want to be
> multi-platform as well.

This will change very soon, as we're going to switch the providers and
client library to use OAF, the new GNOME's object activation library,
which is X-independant and GNOME-independant. And you can always create
your own clients by using the IDL files.

> There has also been discussed the possibility of taking the current gnome-db
> code
> and extending it to our needs without putting it back to gnome-db - but we
> wouldn't like
> that very much, 'cause it would be duplicating future efforts.

I wouldn't like it neither. I would prefer to try to find ways for your
project to be able to use gnome-db, even if it means to add some things
to gnome-db which are not planned.

Cheers