Re: new release

> > 1) move the postgres provider to use the libgda-server. It's now the
> > only one not using it, and as it's the most complete, making it work
> > well with the library will mean that the library is 100% done, and then
> > we can start adding new things to the IDL interfaces and the related
> > stuff on each provider very easily.
>
> I'll do it, but first I have to understand how the libgda-server works.
> Also, I will make it to work with Postgres V7.x.

Great! For example code, look at the other providers, which are now all
ported to use this lib.

> > 2) XML queries. I didn't want to start adding this before all providers
> > use the libgda-server, because support for this should be added to ALL
> > providers. The Gda_XmlQuery class works pretty well already, so things
> > must be added in the gda-fe and the providers.
>
> I'll make it something really usable, but first I must understand better how
> DTD is handled in libXml (BTW does any one know why GNOME still uses the 1.8.7
> version whereas the 2.x is out?)

I think it is because the 2.x is source-incompatible with the 1.x
series, so the switch has been postponed.

> > 3) Related with the XML queries will be the query designer in the front
> > end, and one thing I've been thinking. In the SQL window (in gda-fe),
> > users are expected to type SQL sentences, so I think we should have a
> > way of converting SQL to a XML query, so that gda-fe can ask the
> > provider if it supports SQL (with gda_connection_supports), and if not,
> > it will convert this SQL into a XML query. This also could be very
> > useful for non-DBMS providers, such as the LDAP provider. The
> > Gda_XmlQuery already has a way to convert from XML to SQL, so the
> > counterpart is already done.
>
> To implement this, wee need a lexical analyser. I think we could use the
> Postgres one (because I knwo it has been reworked not too long ago, and it is
> quite close to the SQL-92 specifications), and maybe modify it. But I'm afraid
> I won't have time to do it soon.

If there's nobody wanting to do it, I'll get it myself. Where can I find
the sources?

> > 4) Debian packages. I'm slowly learning how to make debian packages, and
> > I've already added some stuff to CVS for doing so, but if there's some
> > debian expert over here who can help me, I'd be very grateful!
>
> That is a great idea!

yes, I've recieved several messages from some people asking for them,
specially now, that the Helix Code guys are providing debs for Helix
GNOME.

> Also, what about the process of using OAF with gnome-db, you did not mention it?

Well, yes, we should work on this to have it ready as soon as possible.
I've received a patch today for a guy to make it fully compile, although
this is just a small step, and all the client/server stuff must be
added. But I will concentrate on this now that the libgda-server is
almost done.

Cheers