Re: gda-mgr

Stephan Heinze wrote:

> based on the tree structure there should be two kinds of widgets (common
> inter-
> face stored in a shared lib). one should be able to configure the
> provider
> (edit tnsnames.ora or edit odbc.ini or whatever is to be configured).
> and the
> other widget should configure the datasources. this second widget should
> access the provider config file to show available datasources as choice
> define gda-data-sources.

I would prefer just one widget, as the ODBC manager on Windows does.
Depending on the RDBMS, you would just provide a way of adding datasources
(as said for the iODBC manager), or, if possible, add as well a way of
editing the tnsnames.ora, odbc.ini.... I think keeping the interface for
the gda-mgr as simple as this (call create_widget()) is the best way. Of
course, in the shared lib, we could add any number of widgets/interfaces we
want.

And remember that the gda-mgr will probably be rewritten to allow for the
widget interface. If I'm honest, I don't know how it is done right now.

> I still have no idea how to get the information how a provider should be
> configured ( the assignment from gda-server to the name of the shared
> lib,
> wich contains the widgets ). any suggestions?

I don't know if it's possible to add extra parameters for each provider to
the .gnorba file. I've just sent an email to the gnome devel list asking
about this. This is the simplest way I can think of, so that no extra
files/code are needed. As soon as I get an answer, I'll tell you.

> and another point to think about: the configuration of gda-servers
> shouldn't
> be provided by gda-mgr ( it's shown as it is today ). this configuration
> will
> be installed, when the provider is installed and can only changed by
> root
> (should be so).

Well, the shared lib for each provider will be installed only if the
associated provider is built, so the gda-mgr will query all the present
servers and call the shared lib for each of them. And I think any user
allowed to access the RDBMS-specific files should be able to use it, as,
for example, my ORACLE installation is owned by the user oracle, and I
think modifying any of its files with user root will result in errors next
time I try to modify the files with user oracle. Any user not allowed to
modify these files should be able to, at least, view the information, don't
you think?

Cheers