Re: ODBC Driver Manager Questions

Murray Todd Williams wrote:

> > Yes, that's what I thought, specially since, as I've seen, people tend to use the
> > PostgreSQL/oracle/MySQL providers instead of the ODBC one. But it was provided so
> > that people without a database on their systems could run gnome-db.
>
> Another nice thing is that it adds a certain completeness to have the Gnome-DB
> integrated with a more "traditional/classical" database manager/library such as
> ODBC.  That way, Gnome-DB satisfies all your database needs.

That's one of the goals of gnome-db: to allow access to any existing database system.

> One learning curve at a time.  If progress goes better than I expected and nobody's
> done anything with the provider, I'll give it a shot.  Until then, I want to focus
> on things I know I can pull off.

Ok, sorry for pressing you, but it looks so great to have the ODBC stuff up and
running, that I can't wait...

> > As you said, iODBC does not provide the ODBC setup libs, right? so we'll build
> > this component in gnome-db only if unixODBC is present on the system. The ODBC
> > provider could still be built with both.
>
> We could make a very basic component that only asked for a datasource name and
> *assumed* the user already configured the ODBC driver manager.

Good idea, so that you always have an ODBC driver manager, even if only iODBC is
installed. We could just provide a way of creating, deleting user datasources
($HOME/.odbc.ini).

> > Do you think it's a good solution to provide 2 gnome-db ODBC providers (1 for
> > iODBC another for unixODBC), instead of making only one (with #ifdef's for any
> > psossible difference in code)? If so, go on,  but remember to use the templates
> > in gda-dev/templates.
>
> My rule of thumb would be do whatever can ultimately be reduced to simple RPM
> components.  In the end we want users to have the easiest time figuring what's
> needed.

Ok, if you think the differences are too big to do what I said, we'll have 2
providers.

Well, ask whatever you need. Cheers