Re: Book Chapter (was Re: Connecting by data source?)

> Even if you don't think you might be able to give me feedback on it, feel
> free to read it anyhow - I'm hoping that this will be a useful
> introduction to gnome-db programming, and I'm sure there are some people
> who will find it useful.

Here are some comments:

> GNOME-DB is a database application framework for GNOME. It takes care of
managing >connections to
>databases and offers a collection of widgets that are data-aware (you can,
for instance, >create a popup menu
>that gets its options from a database query). We'll look at GNOME-DB in
detail later in this >chapter.
There is no popup menu yet, but great idea, it will be on CVS before you
finish your book!

>Configurator. The name of a shared library @@@ or a CORBA server? @@@
A bonobo object (== CORBA server), not yet implemented though!

> We have found that it's best to use the same setting GNOME
>uses, which you can find out by running the command 'gnome-config --prefix
gnome'
Did you find any problem when installing in other places? I've got gnome-db
in /usr/local and gnome in /usr and it seems to work perfectly well.
Although, this is a standard RH 6.x box, so there may be problems in another
distributions.

>--with-oracle=DIR    ...your Oracle installation      ????
--with-oracle=/opt/oracle/product/8.0.5

> The GDA Manager will be....
The system-wide config settings will work for next release (next thing I'll
be working on), so you may want to add something about it in your chapter.
Although, I would prefer the way you've done it since it really teaches about
the file locations, parameters....

>From the first look at the code in the chapter, all looks ok.

Cheers