Re: Proposed gda-buildserver changes

> Are there any plans for a gda-config script or a plug-in for
> gnome-config? This would have three benefits:
>
>   * Developers could use gda-config in their own Makefiles instead of
>     gda-buildclient/gda-buildserver
>
>   * We wouldn't need a gda-buildclient.in or gda-buildserver.in anymore,
>     since these scripts can discover configuration information
>     dynamically.
>
>   * People will use the configuration information in ways I haven't
>     considered or imagined :-)

There are no plans for this right now. Maybe this could replace
gda-buildclient, which is there just as a counterpart to gda-buildserver.
But, we'll still need gda-buildserver, which does not only return compiler
and linker flags, but it cmpiles the IDL files, it generates skeletons....

> Is this something that I should work on as well? I don't know how other
> projects do it, but I guess I'm picturing a file called
> gnome-db/gda-dev/gda-config.in or perhaps something that works with
> gnome-config.

I started gda-buid*.in by copying the glib-config.in script. It is a good
example for this. But what other people think about this? What do you prefer,
gda-build* or gda-config or both?

> > * build the server: here, you must generate the files from the IDL
> > files (calling orbit-idl) as well as compile them. Then, you must link
> > these files along with any other files passed in the command line to
> > produce the server executable.
> >

> Do you have an example set of orbit-idl and gcc invocations I can use as a
> guide?  Or is some of this already done in the gda-buildserver script?

There is some of this in the gda-buildserver.in file (the one in CVS)

> Also, is there any interest in having gda-buildclient build a skeleton GDA
> client?  I don't know how hard this would be, but I'd be willing to try it
> out.

Well, a skeleton client app right now is nothing standard. But, as soon as
the gda-builder app becomes something, it could be very useful. But for the
moment, let's do nothing about this.

> > All this is started, but it contains bugs all over. I committed this
> > morning some changes to both gda-buildclient.in and gda-buildserver.in
> > to use correct $CFLAGS and $LIBS, by using the @..@ macros provided by
> > autoconf/automake, so please modify the current CVS versions.
>
> Sure - I've got two writing deadlines between now and the 10th, and I'll
> be travelling a bit as well (I zip between Rhode Island and Virginia every
> week), but I'll definitely be working on it.  It might not be done until
> shortly after the 10th, though, because of those two committments.

Thanks very much for your help