Re: We're starting to develop the logger

On 14 Dec 2000 21:28:58 +0100, David Marín Carreño wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> It's clear that the logger for libgda isn't a trivial thing.
>
> The ASPL programming group still believe in this logger, so we are going
> to start to implement a sql-parser-and-logger, and we will test its
> functionality, and posible problems locally, in the client-side.
>
> We want to make it in the way so it can be ported to libgda easily,
> with no major efforts.
>
> The logger, which we call "Histrionicus project", will be part of the
> ASPL-Fact project until a possible inclusion in libgda.

this is great David!!!

> I have only one question about the design of the logger:
>
> * How must we make the logger to access to the database? It musn't use
>   libgda if it will be part of libgda...
>
>   Perhaps, it must access directly to the database, using the database own
>   data-access libraries. In this way, each gda-provider should have a
>   different logger-implementation... But it is not very useful: a lot of
>   code would be replicated.
>
>   This is my question... Not trivial, but important for designing.

well, clearly, the logger must have access to the underlying database directly,

so the best option, IMO, is to add a new CORBA interface to the IDL
files, called Logger, which
will implement the logger stuff for each provider (= each provider
should implement it). This way,
we can use it optionally in the client side, and also implement it
optionally in the provider
side.

So, before you start, let's define well and clearly the interface we
need for the clients to access,
and then, you can start the implementation. So, please tell us which
functions/methods would
a client need to interface with the logger.

Then, each provider, in its own implementation, will decide whether to
use or not the logging
stuff depending on the state of the logger (activa/inactive).

Doing it via CORBA is the best way, IMO

cheers and thanks for the help