Re: Next release (was Re: New Release)

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 01:08:42PM +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Well, as I said in the announcement for the 0.2.1 version, we're
> approaching a big amount
> of functionality/stability/performance, so I'd like to start working on
> adding missing things
> and new functionality, since, as you may know, GNOME-DB/libGDA will be,
> hopefully,
> included in the GNOME 1.4 extra apps releasem, which is due for the
> beginning of next year
>
> The things I've thought about:
> * XML queries: Gerhard, can you start adding your lib to the libGDA
> source tree? As soon as they are there, we can start implementing new
> (awesome) stuff, such as a visual query designer, the
> export/import stuff, and, most importantly, non-SQL providers, such as
> LDAP, etc

Has anyone already started to work with a query designer? Because this
is what I'm doing right now in gASQL (so maybe then we could make only one
implementation).

> * modifySchema: I'm working right now on rewriting the GnomeDbBrowser
> widget to allow calls
> to this function, which, as I explained, will allow for DDL
> (CREATE/DROP, etc) commands. Apart

Don't you think it should be done with bonobo controls from each provider?
as the definition of these objects really is tied to the DBMS,...

> from this, the schema support must be enhanced in all the providers,
> since the only one which
> is supporting well schemas is the postgres provider

One nice thing would be to write down (more in detail than what is in the doc)
what each schema is supposed to return, and see if everyone is happy with it.
When we have something accepted by all, we can update the docs and update/
write the implementations.
I can find some time to start writing what exactely the postgres provider
answers for each schema and then we can work from that. What do you think?

The main problems I see is for non DBMS providers to find good mappings
with the schemas...

> * GnomeDbGrid widget: we need a better-looking grid widget

Maybe use the new tree widget in GAL which looks very promising, no?

> * Report engine: make it work
> * Gda_XmlDatabase: needs completion, since right now it's got very
> little to offer
> * more Bonobo components: export/import (XML queries), browser, etc
> * Bonobo monikers
> * providers: TDS, Primebase, Sybase are being worked by Holger, but it
> would be great if we could
> also have the MDB, LDAP and mail providers started
> * database logger, as suggested by ASPL-FACT people
> * and more things that I can't remember right now
>
> As always, I'd appreciate any help, so if there's somebody wanting to
> help, please just say
> where you want to help, and I'll give you lots of things to do  : )
>
> cheers

Cheers,