Re: POP3 Provider

I forward it to the evolution-hackers.

RM> Good idea! In fact, it's on the TODO list. But, I have thought myself
RM> about this, and I think it would be a better idea to have a
RM> gda-evolution-provider. That is, this way, you'll be able to access
RM> POP3, IMAP, vfolder, and, most important, the distributed evolution
RM> calendar and other similar things. This also will avoid to have a
RM> gda-pop3-provider, a gda-imap-provider... The only "problem" I see on
RM> this is that this will depend on GNOME, but only this provider (not a
RM> problem, as the rest of GDA will still remain GNOME-independent).
RM> Another solution, also depending on GNOME, would be to use the libcamel
RM> provided in evolution, which is the layer accessing all the different
RM> mail protocols. What do you think?

I think that it is better to use libcamel if I think about a
development cost. but, the people can use libcamel only with
Evolution currently. I think that Evolution team needs to
separate with libcamel as glibwww separated from gtkhtml so
that we use libcamel.
However, libcamel includes the function that there isn't
need for GNOME-DB. If say exactly, libcamel may become
necessary what kind of function we support with
gda-mail-provider. for example, if gda-mail-provider gets
only row data of mail from server and leave the later
process to an application, libcamel will be needless.

If mail server handles it as a kind of DBMS, I think that
minimum header defined with RFC wants to get it with
gda-mail-provider easily.
Therefore I think that it is the nearest way to use
libcamel.

RM> Before somebody starts to flame about the usefulness of a mail provider,
RM> I must say that I've seen lots of software implementing a form of mail
RM> storage in a database, so I think this kind of provider would be very
RM> useful for this kind of software. You could, if you want, export the
RM> data from the providers to a real DBMS.

I know too. Because GNOME-DB has gda-mail-provider, mail and
connection of DBMS will become very easy! A developer builds
in GNOME-DB to application, and it may easily realize to
stores away the mail which gda-mail-provider got in DBMS.

Thanks,
--
Akira TAGOH <at@ue-spacy.ccom>