Re: POP3 Provider

Hi Akira!

[I forward it to the list so that other people get it]

> Hi Rodrigo!,
>
> I waited for your coming back from a holiday :)

yes, unfortunately, my holidays are over!

> I want to try to make gda-pop3-server. (Of course, It
> supports APOP too.) May I add this to CVS? or are you going
> to make it somebody already?
>
> It is not difficult to make POP3 provider. They implement
> the application which they used POP3 for originally.
> It is assumed that POP3 provider was provided by GNOME-DB
> and does not know whether they use this. but, I'm sure that
> this is a thing with meaning if they can find value to use
> every provider to provide of GNOME-DB.
>
> I think that stuff with value to provide as provider should
> make it steadily. If provider increases, GNOME-DB will
> become convenient increasingly!

Good idea! In fact, it's on the TODO list. But, I have thought myself
about this, and I think it would be a better idea to have a
gda-evolution-provider. That is, this way, you'll be able to access
POP3, IMAP, vfolder, and, most important, the distributed evolution
calendar and other similar things. This also will avoid to have a
gda-pop3-provider, a gda-imap-provider... The only "problem" I see on
this is that this will depend on GNOME, but only this provider (not a
problem, as the rest of GDA will still remain GNOME-independent).
Another solution, also depending on GNOME, would be to use the libcamel
provided in evolution, which is the layer accessing all the different
mail protocols. What do you think?

Another similar solution would be to do a gda-mail-server but using
another non-GNOME library to do the same (that is, provide access to
different mail protocols).

Before somebody starts to flame about the usefulness of a mail provider,
I must say that I've seen lots of software implementing a form of mail
storage in a database, so I think this kind of provider would be very
useful for this kind of software. You could, if you want, export the
data from the providers to a real DBMS.

> BTW, you may worry. sorry, LDAP provider may not be enough
> for the next release. I didn't know whether structure of
> current GNOME-DB was suited for LDAP. for example, it is
> move of record. LDAP is tree structure. I can't get hold of
> an image to move to with gda_ldap_recordset_move_next() and
> gda_ldap_recordset_move_prev() with this. and,
> gnome_db_browser is ListView, but I think whether
> gnome_db_browser had better not support with TreeView too.

GNOME-DB (or GDA) is not ready yet for non-SQL providers, due to the
incomplete XML queries. Although, you can start by implementing all
other stuff (that is, connection management, errors, etc). Vivien is the
responsible for the XML queries stuff, so if you want to speed up things
(as Vivien seems to be quite busy at the moment), you may contact Vivien
to see if you can complete the XML queries stuff.