Re: Some Reporter Thoughts

> Carlos,

Hello.

> I had mentioned using Jade before as an XML conversion tool and dsssl as
> its counter part for stylesheets.  I think this is still a viable option
> of course.  However even the maintainer of jade (James Clark) is leaning
> more towards XSLT.

I don't know what is XSLT.

> Like all XML specs its an infant and doesnt have the converters built so
> we would have to build ourselves or help someone build them or wait for
> them to be built.  It will be the standard of the future however.
>
> So the question is do we use XSLT and suffer for a year or more with its
> growing pains or do we use Jade and have everything already stable and
> usable and in a year or two look at retrofitting to XSLT.
>
> Here is a little tutorial from XML.com on what XSLT is:
>
> http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html?wwwrrr_rss
>
> Of course we could opt to do another way and write our own translation
> engines. (icky)  The biggest problem I see is XSLT would probably give
> us HTML fairly  quickly but not something printable like pdf, ps for
> some time.

Well, i think that make our own translation engine is not viable,
because  IMO the open source is made to reuse code, isn't it?, then we
could use Jade (but as a temporal tool, and if we could get time, help
the XSLT project to make the pdf and PS support. But at the moment, we
need do something useable and then we will prepare it to print :-).

> I know in my situation that is not very viable as most clients dont want
> financials that arent printable, makes it kinda hard to invoice. :)

Well, we could use Jade to start and then make the XSLT more usable.

> Derek Neighbors
> GNU Enterprise
> http://www.gnue.org
> derek@gnue.org

P.S.: I'm testing Evolution 0.4.1,  then if you have troubles with my
emails, please tell me. Thank in advance,

Bye
--
Carlos Perelló Marín
carlos@hispalinux.es