Re: Usability process

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> bruno@virgoplus.com wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > No matter how I try to run gnome-db,
> > I can't figure out how to have an access to my MySQL server.
> >

> How are you trying to run it?
>

> > Could someone help with a procedure to make it run ?
> > I have gnome-db 0.0.27 compiled and installed, but I don't know what to
> > launch, or
> > what to do...
> >

> First of all, start gdafe, which must be located in $prefix/bin. Then, go
> to the menu Options->GDA configuration, and in the dialog box that appears,
> create a new data source definition. Specify the following:
>
> GDA Name -> <data source name>
> Provider -> gda-mysql
> DSN -> This contains all options passed to the MySQL backend and they are:
>         HOST=<hostname>
>         DATABASE=<database name>
>         PORT=<port>
>         UNIX_SOCKET=<socket>
>         FLAGS=<flags>
>     These arguments are optional, and are MySQL specific, so check your
> documentation
> Description -> <description>
> Config -> None (put None as is)
>
> Then, apply the new configuration and go to the open connection dialog and
> select the newly created data source, and enter your MySQL username and
> password. If you have compiled the MySQL GDA server (--with-mysql= option
> in configure/autogen.sh) it should work.

Thanks.
It much more clear this way.

So I have configured GDA with :

GDA NAME = "Stats"
DSN = "HOST=localhost DATABASE=stats PORT=3306"
Description = "Stats"
Config = none

For the port number, I'm not sure, but I have taken it from /etc/services, and
I have a mysqld running on this port, so I suppose it is the right port.

But it didn't work , here is a stderr output :  (I entered correct username
and password in the connect dialog.)

--------------------------------------
[bruno@arwen bruno]$ gdafe
/dev/dsp: No such device
Found server 'gda-oracle'
Found server 'gda-sybase'
Found server 'gda-postgres'
Found server 'gda-mysql'
Found server 'gda-odbc'
Found server 'gda-oracle'
Found server 'gda-sybase'
Found server 'gda-postgres'
Found server 'gda-mysql'
Found server 'gda-odbc'
gda-connection.c: 208: gda_connection_init called
gnome-db-login-dlg.c: 136: gnome_db_logindlg_new called
gnome_db_logindlg_init called
        New login dialog is at 0x80cd4a0
gnome-db-login-dlg.c:113: cb_login called
gnome-db-login.c:46: gnome_db_login_real_login called
gda-connection.c: 88: gda_connection_real_open called
GDA_Connection_open returns -1
real_disconnect() called!
gda-connection.c: 128: gda_connection_real_close called

I supposed that if GDA_Connection_open return -1 means it didn't connect,
so my questions are :
1) What's wrong ?
2) Couldn't gnome-db tell the user with a dialog that the connection wasn't
successful ?

I'd like to write a small html tutorial on how to use gnome-db, but before I
need to make it run at home ....

Bruno

--
Intersted in graphical compiler ? visit http://graph.virgoplus.com