Re: Gnome in MAC OS X/x11

Fink is probably the easiest way to get a Gnome version working on OS X. However, I believe that Fink is only up to the 2.4 release of Gnome (the current version is 2.6.1, I believe). There's also Darwinports at http://darwinports.org; I haven't used it a lot, but it's reasonably easy to get around with as well, and I believe they may have ported Gnome 2.6 (at least, they have a portfile for the 2.6 version of the gnome-vfs package, which is a good sign.

If you are really, really, really bored and more than a little bit masochistic, you can build everything for Gnome 2.6 by hand from the sources available at http://www.gnome.org (and a few other places). I've gone this unfortunate route twice (once with horrible results and an unusable Gnome desktop, and once quite successfully, though with a few minor oddities that also seem to appear on x86 linux boxes); it requires a fair amount of patching and a lot of patience.

[Sorin Paliga]

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672