Re: [gnome-cy] Library?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 03:41:30PM +0000, Chris M. Jackson wrote:

> On a side note, while working on gnome_applets, I see "mist" and "fog".
> In English, these have clear definitions (IIRC, fog is low cloud with
> visibility below 1km, mist is low cloud with visibility at 1km or
> further).

Welsh has a few words for mist/fog but they're never used because of
the insistence on teaching 'standard' Welsh and no colloquial or local
vocabulary. Of course, there is a never a 1-1 mapping between English
and Welsh.

I tend to use 'niwl' for 'fog' but 'tarth' could mean mist, especially
as, in my mind, it implies mist rising from the sea or rivers.

Anyway, I suspect that there is little difference between 'mist' and
'fog', other than that they're English words derived from different
language sources.

--
Dafydd Tomos                                <URL:http://www.fydd.org/d/>