From: Philip Downer <phil pjd me uk>
To: Gareth Bowker <bowkerg teccon co uk>
Subject: GNU/Linux awareness Day
Date: 19 Jun 2003 23:17:19 +0100

Hi Gareth,

Hopefully I'll get the info for the T&C's on the website tomorrow, in
the mean time is there any chance that you could find time to convert
these into Welsh please?

Press Release - Techie version.
------------------------------

The South Wales Linux Users Group (www.swlug.org) in conjunction with
Cardiff County Council is hosting GNU/Linux awareness days on Friday
the 11th July and Saturday the 12th of July at Cardiff County Hall.

GNU/Linux is a Free Software (often referred to as Open Source) Operating
System that was started by Linus Torvalds in September 1991. Since day
one the number of Linux users has been growing and today GNU/Linux is a
popular alternative to the Microsoft Windows platform.

The Linux Awareness Day is a chance for the General Public and
businesses to familiarise themselves with GNU/Linux and talk to
experienced computer professionals about why GNU/Linux is a great
alternative.

At the event there will be demonstrations of various computing
platforms running Linux for many different tasks such as multimedia,
Internet Security, office work and education. The Gnome-cy project will
have the latest version of the Gnome desktop translated into Welsh,
making a modern desktop computing environment available to Welsh
speakers for the first time.

GNU/Linux is legally available for free download from the Internet and
as such we can not only give away distributions* (e.g. Red Hat, Debian
or Suse) of GNU/Linux on cd but we are also offering to freely install
some of the distributions on to computers that people bring along. This
means that anyone who cares to bring along their home computer system
could leave with a fully working GNU/Linux solution at no cost.

Please note that any member of the South Wales Linux User Group or the
Cardiff County Council cannot be held responsible for any damage or data
loss that may occur to any computer system that is brought to the event.
The full terms and conditions can be found at (insert web page)

For more information see:

SWLUG - http://www.swlug.org/
Linux Awareness Day info - http://cardiffschools.net/lad.htm
Linux - http://www.linux.org/
GNU - http://www.gnu.org/
Gnome - http://www.gnome.org/
Red Hat - http://www.redhat.com/
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Suse - http://www.suse.de/

Or Contact either:

Philip Downer - SWLUG enquiries at 0787 947 0969
Gareth Bowker - SWLUG and Gnome-cy enquiries at 0796 831 2721

* We reserve the right to charge media costs e.g. the price of the
cd if there is high demand.

Press Release - non-Techie version.
----------------------------------

The South Wales Linux Users Group (www.swlug.org) in conjunction with
Cardiff County Council is hosting GNU/Linux awareness days on Friday
the 11th July and Saturday the 12th of July at Cardiff County Hall.

The aim of this event is to raise the awareness level of GNU/Linux
within South Wales and the benefits that it can bring not only to small
and large businesses but also to the General consumer.

One of the main benefits to those within the South Wales area is that
members of the SWLUG have started the Gnome-cy project, their aim being
to translate the Gnome desktop environment into Welsh, thus providing
what we believe to be the first modern computing environment for Welsh
speakers. Gnome-cy will be demonstrating their latest version at the
Linux Awareness Day.

GNU/Linux is legally available for free download from the Internet and
as such we can not only give away distributions* (e.g. Red Hat, Debian
or Suse) of GNU/Linux on cd but we are also offering to freely install
some of the distributions on to computers that people bring along. This
means that anyone who cares to bring along their home computer system
could leave with a fully working GNU/Linux solution at no cost.

Full Terms and Conditions can be found at (insert web page)

The South Wales Linux Group holds regular meetings in both Cardiff and
Swansea providing support for anyone who wants to get started with
Linux within the South Wales Area.

--
| Gareth Bowker           | <bowkerg teccon co uk> |
| Software Engineer       | http://www.thetcl.com/ |