Re: [gnome-cy] GNOME status update; going away

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 02:23:55AM +0100 or thereabouts, Dafydd Harries wrote:

> Currently, the following items remain in the desktop group for GNOME
> 2.4:
>
> - gcalctool has none of its 307 strings translated

[hobbit aloss gcalctool]$ msgfmt -cv po/cy.po
167 translated messages, 2 fuzzy translations, 139 untranslated messages.
[hobbit aloss gcalctool]$

141 to go there now :)

That is far as I can go filling in "0" "1" "2" "3" "4"... "+", "-"
and so on, and Chris has added in a pile of mathematical terms.
The strings left are the error messages. I do hope someone understands
them. I don't follow them in English.

> By my calculations, we have roughly 4347 strings to translate before we

4180 now :) And of that, I make it less than a thousand to hit 80%.

> We are starting to be more careful about declaring "ownership" of
> packages, to avoid stepping on each others' toes. Currently,
> gcalctool (Telsa), gnome-games (Daf), gok (Chris), libgtop (Daf) and
> metacity (Daf) are under ownership. It would be silly to work on these

Someone's welcome to gcalctool now. I shall go and find something
else which has "0" "1" "2" "3".. "?" "/" and so on in it now.

> I think we should aim to finish the essential strings by the middle of
> August. This is to allow plenty of time for everything to be ready for
> the release on the 4th of September. Packages will be made *before* this
> date, possibly by a fair margin, so we have to be finished beforehand.

The release schedule is at http://www.gnome.org/start/2.3/ and you'll
see final tarballs are due on the eighth of September, according to
that. I started the "fourth of September" hare running. Not sure
where I got that from. Sorry! What tends to happen is that packages
from the Release Candidates with no bugs reported are simply kept and
re-used for the final release. So that's August 25th. Which is the bank
holiday weekend. Also, developers going away make them early.

So I concur. Mid-August if at all possible, so we know it will go
in. I will do my best to check each of the final beta tarballs to
see that Welsh is in them and file bugs if it is not.

> This will also give us time to review our translations for mistakes and
> inconsistencies. (This can be partly automated.) It would be a shame if
> we finished all the essential strings and got them in the 2.4 release
> only to find that there was a glaringly obvious typo!

More seriously, we shall try to have tarballs of translations
which anyone can simply drop into place and take for a test drive.
If anything looks stupid, please shout. Great example: someone,
somewhere, provided "corff" for body. It probably looked perfect
at the time. Unfortunately, that shows up in evolution when setting
up your account. It asks for your name, email address, your
signature file and where you work/are sending email from: the
institution, in other words. That's where that "body" showed up.
It looks a little odd there. That's the kind of thing we can only
find by running the app and looking at the context.

I believe Daf's collection of po and mo files updates automatically.
If it doesn't, I'll start putting them somewhere obvious. We'll
see if we can get some rpms together, but that's a very long job:
by the time they're built, they will be out of date. Pooh.

Telsa