RE: [gnome-cy] Aurfa/Krowbar - a Welsh dictionary server

I'm a bit puzzled by this debate.

The starting point for any project has to be a vocabulary of a high standard.
I think that means one produced by linguistic professionals.
An amateur collection can only be of very limited use.
Once this is available people can port it to their favourite piece of
software or develop an application with their favourite tools. Users
can then decide which is the most useful for their own situation
( online/offline, windows/unix/linux/mac etc ).

Some time ago I wrote ( for my own sad entertainment ) a cgi script
to do stuff like conjugate verbs, deal with mutations, validate words etc.
I covered all the verbs in "Y Llyfr Berfau" ( but didn't copy them ),
added in subsets of available online Welsh/English lists like Mark Nodine's
and used scripts to create lists of Welsh words from a few web sites.
It was based on perl/mysql but I could just as easily have generated
XML or other formats from it.

I stopped bothering with it because I realised that the final product
would be of little value unless it was based on a good source.
I'm sorry if it sounds negative but unless a dictionary is academically
sound I just can't see the point in it however good the software.