Re: Bug 701708: Birthday not incorporating year

Philip Withnall <philip withnall gmail com> wrote:
What I want to hear are opinion on whether birthday field in Contacts
should save the year or not. Why I'm asking for opinions in Spanish
"Cumpleaños" which is the translation some people use for birthday
means the day of the year you celebrate you birthday, The day of birth
on the other hand is translated different "Día de nacimiento", so I
understand people can understand different the meaning of the field.

Internally, folks stores the day of birth (día de nacimiento), and this
is what is exposed in the BirthdayDetails interface. Of course,
gnome-contacts doesn't have to do the same, but that's what the
underlying information means. :-)

And it makes sense, in the way that you often know the day in the year
when someone has a birthday, but not the year of their birth.

That said, it could be nice to have an optional year field - since in
some cases knowing that is useful. For example, for family members it
could help to know when significant birthdays are coming up (we'd also
need a good way to expose this information in the UI, of course).

Allan