Slow gnome-contacts and vala "macros"

I've noticed gnome-contacts is really slow to start and close and so I thought I'd try hacking it a bit to see why. strace revealed a huge amount of these:

recvfrom(6, 0xee0ea4, 4096, 0, 0, 0)    = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

So I assumed it does a lot of network calls that just time out.

I decided to dig into the code with:
apt-get source gnome-contacts
apt-get build-dep gnome-contacts

Then I wanted to change debian/rules to add VALAFLAGS += -DDEBUG with the thought that that would enable some of the "#if DEBUG" sections in contacts-linking.vala. But on running "dpkg-buildpackage -b", that flag made no difference.

Does anyone know why?
And does anyone know about the slowness already?