Re: Link dialog and Undo for linking

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 09:31 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:36 -0500, Erick Pérez Castellanos wrote:
> > > This distinction between my contacts and other contacts is quite
> > > common. Gmail has the concept of 'My Contacts' Android has something
> > > called 'All Contacts' (which roughly conforms to what I have described
> > > as 'other contacts'). I think it is useful, in that it is close to how
> > > people tend to think about their contact data.
> >
> > Here, I would like to make some points clear. What I got from this was:
> > Gnome Contacts (g-c) should help the user to manage two different groups
> > of contacts, main contacts and some others (those you night get from
> > social networks hub). As it happens Google Contacts call the former "My
> > Contacts", and Yahoo could name them "Preferred Contacts", or Android
> > "Favorites". the point is should be two groups cleanly separated one of
> > the other and accordingly with the backend we should sync them with the
> > category they fit best. If we can show the user cleanly enough which is
> > its main backend them the user will hope to see its main contacts there,
> > it will make the association between the contacts in its service of
> > choice and those if g-c .
> > Now the support for this tagging of personas as important (main,
> > primary) should come from libfolks, we might do it, but best would be to
> > came already from folks.
>
> "Favourites" isn't quite right. Right now folks combines a set of
> sources into your "address book". Some are from the actual primary
> addressbook that is under your control, be it a local evolution
> addressbook or the google addressbook (accessed via eds). The rest are
> from various more or less automatic contacts harvesters, taking data
> from e.g. your buddy lists via IM or all your friends for facebook or
> all your followed people on google plus. These later are clearly
> interesting sometimes, but can be large and it can be confusing to see
> them all combined in the UI.
I'm not talking about see it all of them on the same UI, I'm goign for
showing just the main contacts, not the others one from every social
service or every people you mailed one day.

> In git master we now *only* show the contacts that contain a persona
> from the primary persona store (and there is a way to switch which
> addressbook to use).
The problem is taht your primary store might have personas from people I
really don't want to be there. eg: My primary store is Google service,
so I have personas there for gnome-contacts-list gnome org, for
instance. Right now those aren't showing because you make a hack to not
showing those contacts not belonging to "My Contacts" group.
I'm talking about removing these hack and getting this distintion from
libfolks, that would permit us to allow the same separation between main
and not-main contacts with other addressbooks other than Google. I know
"Favourites" might not really look like the concept we're looking for,
but, could work for now.

> The other personas are only seen during search (and
> its then separated out from the contacts under "your control"), and when
> linked to primary personas.
I'm fine with this. Should be like that.

> > >  * When linking, the contact selector should operate in two modes -
> > > one for linking to my contacts [7] and one for linking to other
> > > contacts [8]. When linking to my contacts, only other contacts should
> > > be displayed in the dialog, and vice versa.
> >
> > Here, I think there's just one thing left. When using the link dialog in
> > link-to-others-contacts mode we should allow to multi select contacts
> > since the user might link more than one Other contact to the one he's
> > editing. The other mode of the link dialog it is just one select
>
> Multiple selection is kind of complicated, maybe we could instead
> separate the actual linking of a contact from the closing of the dialog.
> So, you bring up the dialog once, then you can select any contact and
> click "link", then pick another and click link and then close the
> dialog.
Then , I prefer doing it one at a time.