Re: Support for Undo

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:02 -0500, Erick Pérez Castellanos wrote:
> > > I can work on both Undo operation, this one, and the linking stuff too.
> > > What I'm still missing in order to start coding for this, is this.
> > > In the irc Allan said about in-app notification, the Cosimo said he well
> > > get it done somewhere in the way to 3.4. If I make the code for the undo
> > > stuff, which notification I should use ?
> > > I thought using the standard Gnome notification spec in the mean time.
> > > is it right, or is it better to wait
> >
> > I dunno, it seems a bit weird for these to be system wide notifications.
> > Maybe we can make a simple in-app notfication system for now.
> About these I was thinking, since link/delete are async operations, maybe should be system-wide notifications.
> Take my case, the latency of my internet connection is huge, I link some
> contacts, and cause is slow I go away to chromium, and with the in-app
> notification I miss the chance of undoing something.

But how would it look if every app did system wide notifications for
everything. You would be unable to tell easily where things came from,
and you would be constantly interrupted with stuff, which is contrary
with the shell design goal of gettting out of the way.

Also, just because e.g. delete is an async operation doesn't mean you
have to wait until it is done to show the undo notification and hiding
the contact. I did a hack like this with the notes "dot" where it runs
the modification operation in the background, but immediately changes
the UI for it.