Re: Bonobo Unique Application v5

Hi Gustavo,

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 13:26, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> > 	* the new-instance thing should be a special case separate
> > 	  method on the IDL I think (discuss this one)
> 		Well, I don't see the point of doing this, other than increased
> robustness, but it's easy to do anyway.

	Saves having unobvious built-in 'magic' names :-)

> > 	If you have a better API for this (doing allocation) please expose it
> > in bonobo-arg.h (I'd like to see the patch for that first). Also, we
>
>   Fine, but the new API functions must have different names and old
> functions preserved for backward compatibility, correct?

	Yes - that's right; if they are copying variants, I guess adding a
_copy suffix might work ie.

	GValue * bonobo_arg_to_gvalue_copy (const CORBA_any *any);

	etc.

> > 	My other concern is that we need to beef up the
> > bonobo-activation-server stuff. I'd quite like you to write a tweaking
> > tool that allows people to list the running servers, and poke at their
> > messages [ if that's feasible ]. I'm particularly interested in the
>
>   That would be interesting.  Need some time, though.  [offtopic: I also
> think it would be nice to improve the bonoboui toolbar customization
> dialog]

	Yes that's true - however the libbonoboui stuff in fact needs an almost
complete re-write to use the new Gtk+ XML UI code; and/or we need an
improved / integrated story here.

> > multi-display, multi-lang / that sort of angle on all this. Currently
> > b-a-s is not good at dealing with these sort of uniqueness factors in a
> > sensible way I think.
>
>   I don't mind giving a go at this, even within gnome 2.6 time frame,
> but it can be layered on top of the unique application thing, right?  In
> that case, I prefer to attack one problem at a time, or I'll get lost.
> :)

	Sure; lets get the UniqueApplication stuff in first and then tackle
this; I'm just concerned that we don't forget it - since IMHO this is
prolly the most important outstanding area for improvement.

 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot