Re: GEP 9: merging bonobo-activation & libbonobo

Hi Bastien,

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 11:00, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >   I don't see what would be the problem in using libbonobo.  With both
> > packages merged, existing projects using bonobo-activation only would
> > sill be linking to one library only, that just happens to have a bit
> > more code.  With libbonobo already widely used as shared library, there
> > is almost no cost.  And think of the benefits of linking to one less
> > library in all gnome programs.
>
> Nope, for ABI compatibility reasons, we can't remove one of the
> libraries just like that. That doesn't work. We could make it optional
> though.

	I don't believe that is what Gustavo means; let me re-quote it with
emphasis: "existing projects using bonobo-activation **only** would
still be linking to one library only" :-)

	Of course, no one is suggesting breaking binary (or source)
compatibility - that'd be silly (as the GEP makes clear).