Re: bonobo, gtk widgets, DOM

Hi Michael,

thanks for commenting on this.

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 12:46, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	I think it's unlikely to be worthwhile having a single DOM tree split
> across processes - this is not an application I'd use Bonobo for; the
> DOM API is highly granular which doesn't suit IPC IMHO.

I agree on the IPC issue. However, with a tighter integration it makes
sense to have a DOM document that is shared among several components. At
least, when I read "compound documents" I think of a document which has
a centralized, accessible representation, and then several components
which are responsible for fragments of it.

> 	Then again, if you're only going to proxy user-interaction, then
> perhaps it's worthwhile, in general the more chunky the separation you
> can achieve between components - the better; ie. why do you want to
> export this DOM interface ?

It's not that "I want to" ;-) just I don't see reasonable alternatives
to this unless making sure the component runs in the same address space
as the container. Is this the case when the component is in a shared lib
and it is instantiated with a factory that has location="shlib"?

Regards,
-- luca