Re: silly bug of libbonobo; bug 104931

On 2003.02.19 02:07 Gustavo J. A. M.  Carneiro wrote:
>   With the moniker string 'file:some.avi', you are asking for a Bonobo
> Control which can open the file 'some.avi'. In the Bonobo framework,
> only components with the Bonobo::PersistStream interface can open files.
> Well, there are other interfaces it could use, but the file: moniker was
> designed this way.
>
>   Nautilus uses its own, private interface, namely Nautilus::View. I bet
> lumiére implements that interface.
>
>   To be able to obtain the lumiére control, you have to create a custom
> query, with bonobo-activation.
>
> <example>
> Bonobo_Unknown obj;
> Bonobo_Control control;
>
> obj = bonobo_activation_activate("bonobo:supported_mime_types.has
> ('video/x-msvideo') AND repo_ids.has ('Bonobo/Control') ",
> 	NULL, 0, NULL, NULL);
> if (ob != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
> 	control = Bonobo_Unknown_queryInterface(obj, "Bonobo/Control", NULL);
> </example>

yeah, that routine might get the target control well.

but most of Bonobo/Control implementations does not have
Bonobo/Stream interface in *.server;

$ bonobo-activation-run-query "repo_ids.has('IDL:Bonobo/Control:1.0')" | wc -l
     39
and
$ bonobo-activation-run-query "repo_ids.has('IDL:Bonobo/Control:1.0') AND repo_ids.has('IDL:Bonobo/PersistStream:1.0')"
number of results: 2
OAFIID:GNOME_GGV_Control
OAFIID:GNOME_EOG_Control

is really bad situation.
is that all the fault of implementations,
that does not provide stream interface *correctly*?
then, how does the lumiere can open files and play well
without the stream interface which is *essential part*?