Re: Bonobo Unique Application v4

Hi Gustavo,

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 14:15, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
> 	I changed the API a bit, to allow for registration of messages with
> name, return type, argument types.  I try to map GType's  to
> CORBA_TypeCode's, to make a more GLib-ish API.  You think it's better to
> deal with typecodes directly?  It would give us more power (all CORBA
> types available), but...

	It's fine to stick with GLib types for this I guess; we can always use
the CORBA interface directly if necessary.

	I didn't read in depth; but a few things to think on:

	va_arg (args, GType):

		I _think_ you have to have a builtin type as the 2nd arg
	on a number of compilers / platforms; how does G_VALUE_COLLECT do
	this ?

	Should we not add a closure (and have a convenience G_CALLBACK addition
helper) along with the 'message description' ? that would seem necessary
to have the method to callback into - of course; it's nice having the
type-safe argument lists - that's really good.

	Some examples of the BonoboClosure stuff are in
libbonoboui/bonobo/bonobo-ui-component.c - along with the helpers FWIW.

	Looking nicer anyhow.

	One of the things I want to do is to fix bonobo-activation, so that the
component's capabilities are defined by the .server file - instead of a
(hapazard) set of (not thread-safe) properties that people will always
forget to set ;-) That'll take a little re-structuring I think, but it
has to be the right way to go; then registering our unqiue application
we'd pass a fragment of XML to say how 'unique' it is ;-)
per-screen/per-display/per-lang etc. ;-)

	Great work though,