Re: having one bonobo control instance per process

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 11:03, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 16:04, Jason Hildebrand wrote:
> > I'm working on a new version of gnome-vim (vim as a bonobo control), and
> > trying to work out a less hackish architecture than the first attempts,
> > which embedded vim instances running inside zvt widgets.
>
> 	Great :-) sounds good - I hope you're targetting Gnome 2.0.

I must confess that I actually haven't yet looked at the 2.0 development
platform, although I am of course hoping to move to 2.0 at some point.  Is the
Bonobo framework in Gnome 2.0 drastically different than in 1.4?  If so, then
I should probably move to 2.0 now, since I'm essentially starting over
anyways.

> 	Yes - for now I'm afraid that's about the best we can do. I plan to
> fairly radically hack bonobo-activation-server around in the 2.1
> timeframe, so we can add an attribute to help you do this automatically
> - can you file a bug against bonobo-activation specifying what you want,
> and a nice attribute name to tag what you want :-) then it'll be easier
> to implement.

Ok, I'll try to do this.

> > I'm still learning a lot of bonobo/corba/oaf as I go, but as no existing
> > tutorial or example does what I'm trying to do, it seems like I'm either
> > breaking new ground or heading the wrong way.
>
> 	You're mostly breaking new ground I think, you've got an impressive
> grasp of what needs doing though :-)

Thanks -- it's good to know that I'm at least understanding the problem;
that's usually most of the battle. :)

peace,
Jason