Re: bonobo_control_set_transient_for problem

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 10:20, Jeroen Zwartepoorte wrote:
> Since it's just a hack to find the toplevel GdkWindow and not actually
> the GtkWindow

	NB. this is not a hack - it's all you can do. It is not possible to get
a local GtkWindow * for a remote GtkWindow :-) you can get a foreign
GdkWindow reference for the toplevel, and that was sufficient to set
transience for Gtk+ 1.2 ( AFAIR ), it seems things have changed now.

> it also doesn't set GtkWindow->transient_parent. Which in
> turn causes the dialog to be unable to center itself over it's parent
> (see gtkwindow.c:gtk_window_compute_configure_request (4018)).

	The only solution I can see to this is to have a bogus GtkWindow
object, carefully sub-classed, fake it being mapped, etc. which is going
to suck really badly.

	It'd be nice if Gtk+ exposed the transient API in terms of a GdkWindow
( and a GdkScreen ? ). Owen - I'd appreciate your advice on this one.

> Should GtkWindow really do the positioning itself? Shouldn't the WM be
> responsible for that? And if not, how can we fix the above problem?

	I believe that is what used to happen.