Bonobo-moniker problem?

Hi!

I wanted to try out Evolution and after many hours of compiling
different libraries and Evolution itself I tried it and it did just say:

"evolution-shell-WARNING **: Cannot access Bonobo/ConfigDatabase on
wombat: (IDL:OAF/GeneralError:1.0)"
and quit.

I've been checking out the Evo mailing list for this error
and I've found out that it is not really an Evo problem.
(I've tried what worked for them.)
I've went down and ran all the oaf test programs and
they all gave sucessfull results. (with oaf-0.6.8)
I continued to try with the bonobo (version1.0.19)
test programs. Those in the tests/ catalog went well as
far as I can see. But when I tried (in the moniker/ catalog):

$ ./moniker-test -i http bonobo-moniker-http
Resolving moniker 'bonobo-moniker-http' as http
Requesting interface: http: EXCEPTION: IDL:OAF/GeneralError:1.0
$

Which seems to to be about the same as for Evo. So my
guess is that something between bonobo and oaf isn't
working correctly.

And if I run the "bonobo-moniker-http" itself, it answers
like this:

 $./bonobo-moniker-http
Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:Bonobo_Moniker_http_Factory'

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `BonoboObject'

Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-running-context.c: line 413
(bonobo_running_context_auto_exit_unref): assertion `object != NULL'
failed.

and stops there forever. I get the exact same error with
bonobo-moniker-gunzip.

What I think could have made things like this is that I have alot
against the normal linux/unix idea of putting all programs in the
same catalog(just check how many files you got in your /usr/bin
and you start to think that your C:\windows\system catalog is
quite nice.)
and I nearly always installs program and libraries in a sperate
catalog.
Like I did with oaf and bonobo.
Bonobo went to /usr/local/Libs/bonobo. Well, actually to
bonobo-1.0.19 since bonbo is symlinked to bonobo-1.0.19.
(ln -s /usr/local/Libs/bonobo-1.0.19 /usr/local/Libs/bonobo)
(notice that I do "configure --prefix=/usr/local/bonobo" to
simplify upgrades.)

Then I made "ln -s" on all files in the catalogs under bonobo to
/usr/local/bin, usr/local/lib and so on to make it look like it's
"normal" linux.
(Oaf went under /usr/local/Libs/oaf-0.6.8 symlinked to
/usr/local/Libs/oaf.
I did as wiht bonobo above.)
All this I've done for years with hundreads of libraries and packages.
It requires some more work to make things compile sometimes, but I
have a nice order on my libraries and programs and I can easily remove
programs and libraries that I don't use without trying an "make
uninstall".

All the gnome stuffs are under /usr/local/Gnome. With gnome stuff I
mean tarballs that starts with gnome-* and comes from gnome.org.
(like gnome-libs, gnome-core and so on.) I decided it wasn't possible
to keep them nicely seperated in seperate catalogs. (ORBit went there
too, version 0.5.13. I guess oaf and ORBit have something to do with
each other.)
Since I don't normally install gnome programs under /usr/local/Gnome
I've made that /usr/local/share and /usr/local/Gnome/share is the same
(with symlink) to avoid strange problems with missing files.
Also I don't install new programs as root, when I do a new system-wide
installation I make the catalog as root but then change the owner of it
and then installs the program/library as a normal user. (I do this to
avoid
that some make install goes nuts and put files in wrong catalogs and
so.)
So IF bonobo or oaf wants to have a file somewhere outside its given
catalog (give with --prefix=/usr/local/..... during configuration.) it
is likely
that this file never got installed.

I hope someone has got some ideas of what can possible be wrong.

Hmm.. Some more info about my system might be needed.
(It is a slackware 7 or 8 based system with alot of modifications.)
gcc    2.95.3
glibc  2.2.3
Linux 2.4.17
gnome-libs 1.2.13  <--- Is this one too old?

Thanks,

Jonas
PS: Please CC me since I'm not on the gnome-components-list.