Re: bonobo-activation - a plan.

>Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:01:56 -0500 (EST)
>From: Michael Meeks <michael ximian com>
>To: Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>
>cc: <Louise Miller sun com>, <mjs noisehavoc org>,
<gnome-components-list gnome org>
>Subject: Re: bonobo-activation - a plan.
>

>Hi Bill,
>
>On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Bill Haneman wrote:
>> I meant, of course, other than 'exec' ;-)
>
>        You're going to have the first reference problem however you look
>at it - period. There can be no language independant IDL interface to
>anything, unless it's activated. You can't be garenteed to have activated
>it without an exec - really. I think the exec is possibly the cleanest way
>we have seen to get a handle to oafd / the end result, that doesn't
>involve binding to a C library.

exec is fine for 'first reference', to wake up the activation server.

As Maciej suggests, thereafter it would be nicer to go via CORBA for the actual
queries and activation (of subsequent services), rather than relying on exec to run
bonobo-activation queries, service activations, and obtain IORs.

-Bill

> Michael

------
Bill Haneman x19279