Re: Bonobo::Persist::getIID ()

Hi Gergo,

On Wed, 23 May 2001, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> for those of you not caring about the clipboard, I'd like to mention
> this in a separate mail because of its broader implications (since
> this is a request to add a new member to a published public
> interface).

        Of course, this will only happen in Gnome 2.0 [ but then, that is
what we are designing this for ].

> I think the Bonobo::Persist interface should contain a getIID method
> that returns the IID of the object thats state it contains. This is
> required to fully store a component (because storing a component,
> IMHO, means storing what it is, not just what its state is), or to
> store remote compound documents, etc. The downside is that this binds
> us to a specific object activation scheme (in this case, OAF).

        This sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm wondering what the
best way round is to do this. It would be nice to have an 'identification'
interface, that would allow a client to ask a toplevel object what it's
OAFIID is.

        Whether Persist is the best interface for this is uncertain. On
one hand, it might be nice to have a toplevel property bag on each app,
that we can poke properties at - one of which might be an OAFIID. However,
in a compound document sense it is not always clear what the toplevel is.

        Either way, I'd be interested in addressing this in stable, since
there is a real need for this interface. I'm just wondering whether a
PropertyBag isn't a better interface, and what else we could put in an
'application' bag if we had one.

        Thoughts ?