Re: Bonobo Clipboard, try #1

Hello bonobo-hackers,

I just want to spread my .02p on clipboards.
<DISCLAIMER>I'm not yet very familar with bonobo, but
anyway.</DISCLAIMER>
I think you should keep some things in mind for the clipboard design:

	- Some data is really huge (scanned images)
	  => you don't want to copy those around more than
	     needed.

	- Some Application have complex data backends that
	  if the user copies some thing, and then changes
	  the document, allows them to react to paste just
	  as they had copied the data, without really coping
	  all the memory/data that the 'thing' is made of
	  (nondestructivly sound-editors). Applications
	  working with huge files depend on this to work.
	  I hope most apps that that match #1 match this too.
	  => we would like to arrange things in a way that those
	     apps can manage the data as long as they feel
	     comfortable and then (maybe configurable) hand the
	     data over to the clipboard server

	- There should be some reliable and user known way to
	  get rid of all the data that is in the clipboard
	  (server or still being maintained by the app). I think
	  this important to clean up the memory

	- maybe we would like to maintain a clipboard history,
	  no need to have it now, but maybe our approach
	  should make such things possible.
	  (Windows even had/has the option of saveing the clipboard
	   to a file)

	- Multiple data formats

	- preview of clipboard contents

This things are just some thougts that might be useful and I included
some things that you have in your proposals. From this I think we need
an rich clipboard interaction, but certainly the "i punt on files larger
than 64k" text editor should have an very simple interface to use.
Well maybe some of these things are a bit to complicated for now, but if
the base interface doesn't restrict enhancement in these directions we
can have these later by an other interface (QI). On the other hand I
think many features are quite useful and maybe should go into the next
platform.

I hope this helps you, even if I'm not an active bonobe hacker.

Thanks for reading
	martin