Re: Bonobo Clipboard, try #1

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> If you run Photoshop, select a huge region of an image, and you do
> Edit/Copy, "nothing" happens, i.e. it seems to take up no memory.
> When you do a Paste within Photoshop, it of course does the right
> thing.  However, if you try to exit the application, it will tell you
> something like
>
> 	You have a lot of stuff on the clipboard that would take up a
> 	lot of memory if you decided to leave it there.  Do you want to
>
> 	    [Leave the data in the clipboard]   [Clear the clipboard]
>
> Of course, when pasting (not linking) into another application, you
> get a humongous image copied over.
>
> I assume your case (1) would deal with this kind of thing --- an
> application potentially having a great amount of data in the
> clipboard, and it having to ask you what to do.
>
> How would this work, though?  At runtime do you slap a moniker for
> "gimp:image-region:(x1,y1)-(x2,y2)" and when you exit the GIMP, if the
> user actually selects to leave the data in the clipboard, do you slap
> a moniker for "humongous-serialized-image:WWHHRGBRGBRGB..."?

As far as I understand this doesn't solve the problem of modifying the
region after you copied it to the clipboard. With this solution the
clipboard then stores the modified image, which isn't what you want.

BTW: Just a thought, but do we want to support multiple items in the
clipboard? This mean, you can copy an image and a text into the clipboard,
and when you paste it somewhere you will be prompted if you want to paste
the image or the text.  I think this feature would be nice, but will
probably add some further problems.

   Jens