Re: Link fix

Dietmar Maurer <dietmar ximian com> writes:

> Michael Meeks wrote:
>
> > On 16 May 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > Actually, you just upgraded to libtool, that's what fixed the problem
> > > that Michael was "working around" in a way that was:
> > >
> > >  - unportable to various systems that hardcode full paths to libraries
> > >    into executables.
> > >  - GNU make specific.
> >
> >         Yes it stinks, no I was not responsible for this work around. In
> > fact, if you look at the CVS history first 'timur' 'fixed' it like this,
> > then unnamx changed it, then nat did - the first 3 commits to this file
> > were trying to sort out this issue.
> >
> >         If libtool 1.4 allows a nice easy fix, then we should depend on
> > that - I think we do need the _LIBADD, since we want to pull in libefs
> > when we dlopen that plugin - or it'll just go nastily wrong probably
> > silently,
> >
> >         Can you add the _LIBADD Federico ?
>
> The current changes to bonobo does not compile on systems with old libtool.
> And if we commit this change we also need to upgrade all other packages to
> work with libtool1.4.

I've been using libtool-1.4 on a couple of machines for about a week,
and haven't noticed any problems, though I haven't intensively gone
and tried to compile all the GNOME packages.

I suspect most packages won't need any fixing - Bonobo just got caught
out because it was doing something hackish.

Also, note that libtool-1.4 is required for doing devel GTK+ work now.

Regards,
                                        Owen