Re: Bug in configure?

Hi Malte,

(Bonobo is up to 1.0.3 now, so grab that, too)

I buried your answer inline....

Malte Thoma wrote:

> Matthew Schalit wrote:
> >
> > Malte Thoma wrote:
> > >
> > > Hallo ,
> > >
> > > I try to complile bonobo-1.0.2 but the configure ends with
> > > 'checking for libIDL >= 0.6.8... configure: error: not found'
> > >
> > > but the comand '/usr/bin/libIDL-config --version' gives the result
> > > '0.6.8'
> > >
> > > Can you help me?
> >
> > When configure fails to find a program or library that
> > it needs and errors out, then next thing that you do is
> >
> >    less config.log
> >
> > and look inside it for the "checking for libIDL" part.
> > Either paste in the output so we can help you fix it,
> > or know that libIDL probably depends on something that
> > was not thrown into the soup... fixed with a LIBS= line,
> > usually.
>
> I have checked the 'config.log' before, but as far as I can see it does
> not help. Here are the last lines of it:
> configure:4278: checking for gmsgfmt
> configure:4314: checking for xgettext
> configure:4354: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused
> -I/usr/lib/glib/include
> configure:4630: checking for catalogs to be installed
> configure:4741: checking ORBit version
> configure:4750: checking for libIDL >= 0.6.8
> No error message or something else :-(
> The last lines of the stdout are these:

> checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
> checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
> checking for catalogs to be installed...  az ca da de el en_GB es fi fr
> ga gl hu it ja ko lt nl no pl pt_BR ro ru sk sl sv uk wa tr zh_CN.GB2312
> checking ORBit version... 0.5.6
> checking for libIDL >= 0.6.8... configure: error: not found

> So again my question: Why can't libIDL 0.6.8 be found if
> /usr/bin/libIDL-config --version' gives the result
> '0.6.8'
> ???
>
> Malte

I grabbed bono-102 and messed with it to get you the right
answer, ok.

Sooooooooo.  The next thing to do is use the config.log line number
listed, search for that line number in configure, and find out what
it's doing.

> configure:4750: checking for libIDL >= 0.6.8

So we less configure and search for the number 4750 like this:

   less config.log
   /4750

We can see that it does the following:

  a)  It doesn't run /usr/bin/libIDL-config --version
      in it's test for libIDL, it uses gnome-config.

  b)  src:

echo "configure:4750: checking for libIDL >= 0.6.8" >&5
if gnome-config --libs libIDL > /dev/null 2>&1; then
        verstxt=`gnome-config --modversion libIDL`
        vers=`echo "$verstxt" | sed -e "s/^libIDL-//" | \
                awk -F. '{ printf "%d", $1 * 10000 + $2 * 100 + $3; }'`
else
        vers=0
fi

if test "$vers" -ge 0608; then
        echo "$ac_t""found $verstxt" 1>&6
else
        { echo "configure: error: not found" 1>&2; exit 1; }
fi

So you have your answer right there.  You either ain't got gnome-config,
or it ain't in there right.

Btw, here's what I have to do to get it to run correctly on my
offbeat Uw7 platform:

LIBS="-lsocket -lnsl -pthread" ./configure --x-include=/usr/X/include \
--x-libraries=/usr/X/lib

Good Luck (finding this if you're not subscribed :o),
Matt