Bonobo - getting started

Hi Weiqi,

On 22 Mar 2001, Weiqi Gao wrote:
> Is that true for Bobobo?

        Nope, Bonobo requires GNOME to build, there are however X and
non-X versions of the libraries to link against.

> > It is quite out of date at this point. Newer docs are supposed to
> > be up on d.g.o but they don't appear to be yet.
>
> Hope I can read them soon.  In the mean while, is Craig Brockschmidt's
> book still the next best thing? How about the newer Don Box books?

        Ok, the C API is fully docmented at:

        http://primates.ximian.com/~michael/bonobo-docs/book1.html

        The IDL is commented in-line per method.

> I've finished reading the two New Riders books.  I'm a fairly
> competent CORBA programmer.  I can sense that Bonobo will be a key
> technology for the UNIX desktop.  But I haven't found the right door
> into it yet.

        It's great to have you on the Bonobo bandwaggon :-) one place to
start would perhaps be looking at some of the samples, eg.
bonobo/samples/bonobo-class for implementing a custom interface.
bonobo/samples/controls for some simple controls etc.

>  I would appreciate any pointers to a direction where I can go in
> directly and quickly and see some results, not wondering around trying
> one thing---only to find out that it leads to another thing, and then
> another, etc.

        I would grab the above samples and mangle them quickly :-) Some
basic tools you might like to try are sample-container, and:

        moniker-test -c 'OAFIID:GNOME_MyApp_Id'

        Which will show you things that are controls.

        Hope this helps, good to have you on board,