moving gnome-vfs MIME code into libgnome so libbonobo can use it

On Thursday, June 28, 2001, at 03:28  PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

        All we need is the mime detection / sniffing code, but splitting
that out is a pain - so it makes the most sense to have the code in
libgnome. - That is my rational. It seems uncontentious enough to me.

Why not put the entire virtual file system in libgnome? What's the concept of libgnome? Perhaps if I understood libgnome better I could see more clearly that it should include MIME sniffing, for example, but not a virtual file system layer, for example.

Once we agree that MIME sniffing should be in libgnome, it is non-trivial to move it out of gnome-vfs since it shares utility functions with the rest of gnome-vfs, but perhaps we can at least get consensus on the fact that it should be moved first.

I understand that you want libbonobo to be as low-level as possible and want as few dependencies as possible. I don't yet understand how libgnome fits into this picture.

    -- Darin