Re: Moniker implementations in Gnome 2.0

Hi Seth,

On 28 Jun 2001, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > etc.) problems, without making libbonobo depend on gnome-vfs: which is
> > undesirable for many reasons.
>
> What can we do to make this more palatable?

        Unnecessary dependencies cannot be made more palatable. I do not
believe that a component model should depend on a fileing system
abstraction [1].

        Seemingly you guys are not happy to depend on libbonobo - logicaly
one might imagine the file system stuff going in gnome-vfs with a
libbonobo dependency. I am certainly not happy to depend on gnome-vfs.

        All we need is the mime detection / sniffing code, but splitting
that out is a pain - so it makes the most sense to have the code in
libgnome. - That is my rational. It seems uncontentious enough to me.

[1] - the component system is intended to become so lightweight and
flexible in time, that it is used pervasively across the system as a
replacement for standard method calls.