Re: od_server_activate_with_id

On 26 Jun 2001 11:09:58 -0400, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> On 26 Jun 2001, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > IMO, a bonobo_object_activate_with_id function, along with the other
> > bonobo_object functions, are quite useful, so that people don't have
> > to deal with OAF (or monikers, or whatever)
>
> 	Monikers are easy to deal with eg.
>
> 	Bonobo_Control my_control = bonobo_get_object (
> 		"query:(supported_mime_types.has_one('application/x-png')",
> 		"Bonobo/Control", NULL);
>
> 	bingo.

you're hard to convince, Michael :-)

I've got no problem at all in using monikers or OAF directly, and, in
fact, I've never used this od_* functions never (not even the
bonobo_object ones), I use OAF directly (and monikers, if I have to),
but I was thinking about other people, which start using Bonobo, and
maybe they'll expect a simple function (like
bonobo_directory_activate_with_id ("OAFIID:MyComponent")) instead of
having to issue a "complex" query.

The bonobo_directory_activate_with_id function I talk about would just
be a convenience function which internally uses the query: moniker. That
is, it would act as the other bonobo_object_ functions, which seem to be
just wrappers for the OAF API.

Of course, if all those bonobo_object functions are going to be
deprecated, forget about what I say.

cheers